>>btw, in my on-going confusion, "the last Sunday of the year" would only be "the >>Sunday before Advent" in those [very, very few?] locales which ran on a calender >>which started the year on Christmas day.  most places started their year on Easter, >>i believe.

I think you're right. It's funny, my wife and I have been talking a lot about this sort of problem because she's been hired to edit a biblical commentary for publication as a multi-volume book. The guy who put it together tried to tie it to the liturgical lectionary, but it doesn't work well for this sort of thing because there is a 34-day variability depending on the date of Pascha. As a result, most liturgical things begin with Pascha (which gets weird, too, since Holy Week, Lent, and Triodion have to precede it). In Byzantine practice, the ecclesiastical year begins with the commemoration of Christ reading in the synagogue in Nazareth. Today it is called the Indiction (but I think this was officially adopted after 1453). The imperial indiction was September 24 and the papal indiction was January 1.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]