No help to C., however,  just a little point
about writing from dictation (or from a public
sermon/announcement/what have you)... It dates
back to Sumer and Akkad -- at the very least.
Definitely not an invention of the MA or
Augustine or Plato or Hammurabi or Gudea, for
that matter. It was SOP for more than four
thousand years. That's what professional scribes
did -- take words down from dictation. That's
what professional stone scribes did: write the
words down from dictation and then a stone carver
carved it in stone for us to find a couple or four  thousand years later.

Was Bernie's sermon taken down? Quite possible.
It should be mentioned that it was unlikely to
have been one scribe, though. Scribes worked in
teams of from two to six, depending upon what was
being dictated. Court records apparently (at
least in Egypt) were written down by individual
scribes -- usually three --  and then compared to
make sure that nothing was missed... a technique
that has already been mentioned in this thread.

Bob, there is, but not as much as one would
think. For some reason, the concept that scribes
only copied seems equally set in stone.  Bede,
for instance, had two scribes, the hands of both
appear in the Moore Bede. He dictated it; that's
the original. I had fun the last time I was at
the Epigraphic Museum in Athens pointing out to
two excited junior archaeologists where the stone
scribes took turns  It appears that on stone, at
least on those enormous stelae, there was enough
ink for the scribes to average out at 13 letters
for each scribe's turn. (Those were large letters
-- had to be for the text to be readable at 4 meters -- way up there.)

Oh, well, back to my cyber cubby hole.

Rochelle