-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cormack,
Margaret Jean
Sent: 25 April 2012 10:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] St Michael

Greetings all,
I'm reading an article in which  the archangel Michael is fairly prominent,
and in which he is described as, in effect, leading a cavalry charge of
angels against the forces of evil. I am far more familiar with images of him
fighting the devil in the form of a serpent,  with a lance/spear as his
weapon. My questions for the list is whether  those of you familiar with the
iconography can provide information about  either  pictures or texts which
depict him:
1) on horseback
2) leading an angelic host, whether  on horseback or on foot
3) wielding a sword
4) wielding a spear or lance
5) weighing souls
6) leading souls to heaven
and, of course, any combination of the above!
Thanks in advance,
Meg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]