I'm just trying to figure out what Raymond of Aguilliers was referring to.  At the very end of his description of the taking of Jerusalem, following the famous description of "crusaders riding in blood to the knees and bridles of their horses," and the surrendering of the Tower of David to Raymond (of St Gilles), Raymond (of Aguilliers) says a few thigns; the "pilgrims" rejoice at the HolySepulchre;  He says "I further state that this day ended all paganism, confirmed Christianity and restored our faith. 'This is the day which the Lord has made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it," and deservedly because on this day God shone upon us and blessed us." And then a little bit later, he writes "This day, the Ides of July, shall be commemorated to the praise and glory of the name of God, who in response to the prayers of His church returned in faith and blessing to His children Jerusalem as well as its lands which he had pledged to the Fathers. At this time, we also chanted the Office of the Resurrection, since on this day He, who by His might, arose from the dead, restored us through His kindness."

cecilia

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Kurt Sherry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

July 15? That's really too late for any Paschal office, even the Apodosis. Every Sunday is a commemoration of the Resurrection. The commemoration of the founding of the Holy Temple of the Resurrection of Christ (i.e., the Church of the Holy Sepulchre) is appointed for September 13, but that's a reflection of the Elevation of the Precious and Life-Giving Cross on September 14.

Are you sure of the date July 15?

-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher Crockett
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 9:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Office of the Resurrection - for the Liturgical Experts

From: Paul Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

>....commemoration of the Resurrection every day through the year, and
>an
additional Solemn Commemoration of the Resurrection on the last Sunday of the year (i.e., the Sunday before Advent).

so, if Cicilia's reference is to a commemoration which occurred on 15 July, it obviously is not the "Solemn" one which is in December, right?

or are the Hapless Liturgically Challenged insufficiently Confused, even yet?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]