From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Graham Jones [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 April 2012 23:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: Apr. 23

Dear All

The connection between Cadoc and George is late medieval and possibly stems from Cadoc’s name. The late medieval, so-called Welsh Triads named Cadoc as one of the three ‘knights of upright judgment’ and ‘chaste knights’ at the court of King Arthur; one of the ‘three knights that kept the Holy Grail’, and one of three ‘holy bachelors [young unmarried men]’ of the Island of Britain. There was some supposition (how well grounded, I’m not sure) that he was the original of Sir Galahad; medieval legend made St George ‘Our Lady’s Knight’, of course, and celibate.

According to legend, Cadoc’s birth-name was Catmael, ‘Lord of Battle’. ‘Cadoc’ is a diminutive meaning ‘one associated with battle’ – or as we might say, ‘fighter’, just the soubriquet for a knight of prowess.

Given that the George cycle appears to occupy the (west end?) of the south wall at Llancarfan, it would be interesting to know if it was matched on the north side by another martial subject, St Michael perhaps, with a Cadoc cycle in the chancel.

As for Constantine, Maddy, are we talking about the emperor or one of the British Constantines? St Constantine of Cornwall was culted at the southern end of the Welsh border in your own country of Gwent, as you know, but the George connection is escaping me at the mo. I’ll probably wake up with it at 3am...

All the best

Graham