medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture It strikes me that if a bunch of quite highly educated academics can get such ideas wrong so often these days, then misunderstandings must have been far more rife during the Middle Ages when most people didn't have access to books, Wikipedia, etc.  Whatever, as Laura says, "common medieval belief" might have been, perhaps we should be open to some pretty non-orthodox medieval opinions being part of the mix.  Although relating to another issue completely, I can't help thinking of Carlo Ginzberg's The Cheese and the Worms, in which an illiterate miller put forward some pretty wacky ideas about creation.
Cheers,
Jim