While in Sens last year I photographed a group of liturgical vestments
said to have been worn by Thomas Becket. I would like to post the images
in my web archive, but not before I have accurate information about
them. Since I am far from expert on liturgical vestments, may I enlist
the collective expertise of the list?
First, terminology. I think that I have correctly identified the alb,
stole, sandals, and cope. But what is the long strip of fabric, of the
same width and shape as the stole but much longer, actually longer than
the alb even when doubled? And what is the rectangle of fabric that is
about half the length of the stole, considerably wider, and without the
widening of the ends?
Second, chronology. The labels at the museum still repeat the
information in nineteenth-century handbooks that simply take the
historical association with Becket as a given. I have so far been
unsuccessful in finding recent scholarship on the issue, except for one
reference in Leonie von Wilckens (1991) placing the 'so-called stole of
Thomas Becket' in the 13th c. Anyone know how the rest of the objects
are currently dated?
All input will be gratefully received!
thanks,
Genevra