On the "text" side of the discussion, you might be interested in the
"Hymn to Archangel Michael" that
was discovered on a ca 6-7th century Greek papyrus for which a
preliminary publication can be found at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rak/ppenn/museum/michael-hymn.html
MIchael is praised by all the angels, and is called "tristatees" (a
military term, third in command or the like) of  everything.

Bob Kraft, UPenn

On 4/25/2012 5:56 AM, Cormack, Margaret Jean wrote:

> Greetings all,
> I'm reading an article in which  the archangel Michael is fairly prominent, and in which he is described as, in effect, leading a cavalry charge of angels against the forces of evil. I am far more familiar with images of him fighting the devil in the form of a serpent,  with a lance/spear as his weapon. My questions for the list is whether  those of you familiar with the iconography can provide information about  either  pictures or texts which depict him:
> 1) on horseback
> 2) leading an angelic host, whether  on horseback or on foot
> 3) wielding a sword
> 4) wielding a spear or lance
> 5) weighing souls
> 6) leading souls to heaven
> and, of course, any combination of the above!
> Thanks in advance,
> Meg

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]