This is a bit of a "hail mary pass" request.  I am trying to get my hands
on Trinity Coll. Cambridge MS O.7.7, as I am trying to track down a
sentence in the Cur Deus Homo.  The sentence is "nemo magis probat se
hilariter dare que promittit quam qui plus dat quam promittit" (CDH 1.16,
Schmitt 1.74).  A google search revealed that this exact same sentence
appears in the said MS (fols. 60r-64v), in a part that appears to contain a
part of book I of Seneca's Epistulae morales, and it appears to be the
explicit for this section of the MS.  However, I have had no joy in
searching the critical editions of the letters.  I have a feeling this is
an emendation or addition by the medieval scribe (or an unrecorded
variant).  Every published mention on this MS fixates on the opening texts
(Bernard Silvester), although I am waiting for a copy of L.D. Reynold's
book on the medieval tradition of these letters.

What I would ideally love to have is a look at the MS folios themselves,
but our beloved Vatican Film Library does not have a film of it (almost
everything else from Trinity!) and since these folios don't have pretty
pictures, Trinity College itself has not exposed a digital facsimile on its
web site.

So here comes the "hail Mary" request: does anybody have any kind of copy
of this MS and would be willing to share a copy of these folios?

Thanks
Jim

--
James R. Ginther, PhD

"Blessed are the Geeks for they shall encode the Earth"

"...debet esse oratio devota, ne mens sit in foro dum os psallit in choro."
- Robert Grosseteste

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if
both are frozen." -Edward V. Berard

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]