There is a thought provoking article on the efforts to createDigital Public Library of America’ (DPLA)-- 'Google's ambitious book-scanning program is foundering in the courts. Now a Harvard-led group is launching its own sweeping effort to put our literary heritage online. Will the Ivy League succeed where Silicon Valley failed?'

A link to the article –‘The Library of Utopia’. By Nicholas Carr. Technology Review. May June 2012
--and other links to some UK discussion are on the ‘National Digital Library’ page of the Local Government Library Technology (LGLibTech) website (wiki) http://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/National+Digital+Library

In terms of the UK, SCONUL (Society of College National and University Libraries) ‘has a radical vision for the future provision of content for university and college libraries and is calling for the creation of a national digital library.’ I’m not aware though of any UK *public* library bodies proclaiming a similar vision.

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email: [log in to unmask]  www.kenchadconsulting.com

Skype: kenchadconsulting   Twitter: @KenChad   LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kenchad