-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Clark
Sent: 23 April 2012 11:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Banned books in libraries

Apologies etc etc

Anyone know the source for this survey that is doing the rounds in the
right-wing press:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133798/Childrens-favourite-book
s-removed-library-shelves-parents-complain-offensive.html

I can't find a reference to the source of it anywhere.

Of course, if this 'problem' is bad now, imagine how much worse it will
be with community libraries springing up all over the place...which
makes me wonder why some librarians want to encourage them.  Is it now
the position that some are happy to support a policy that will lead to
increased censorship of the written word?  Are librarians no longer
bothered about censorship?  Once it is farmed out to the community, is
it no longer our problem?

Ian Clark
Library Systems Officer,
Augustine House,
Canterbury Christ Church University

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel. 01227 767700 ext 3141

This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.  Please be aware that information in this email may be confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected.