Dear All,

A colleague who is on a self employed contract, as a librarian, is now
being asked to renegotiate the contract to take out indemnity insurance,
and is, understandably, worried about this.  It is the more odd, as she
is to retire in six months time.

She has been seeking advice, and it has been suggested that, as she
works to a line manager who is directly employed by the organisation,
her employment will be deemed by HMRC as employment rather than self
employment, and thus, she would have to carry out some adverse activity
completely outwith her contract/JD for any suggestion of sueing her to
have any validity.

Can anyone on the list make any helpful comment / suggestions as to who
to contact for advice ?  [I gather CILIP were not helpful, as not having
met the situation before ...].  Is anyone on the list also on a
self-employed contract ?

It is not something I've come across before - I've either been employed
direct by the organisation or via an agency.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Nokes

Elizabeth Nokes
Librarian
IGA/GAS Library
Institute of Group Analysis
1 Daleham Gardens
London NW3 5BY

Tel 020 7431 2693
Fax 020 7431 7246
Email:  [log in to unmask]

Available at the following times:
Tuesday and Wednesday:  11.00 a.m. to 17.00 p.m