We are currently running Millennium 2009B Release 1.4 on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. Our email gateway servers use Exim for the mailer service and not Sendmail, which is no longer used on any Linux servers within our institution.

We have had problems running Scheduler since we bought it. Most of the initial issues we had were resolved when we upgrade to Millennium 2009B Release 1.4, but we are still left with a final major problem related to the sending of email notifications. Scheduler is unable to send any emails that confirm the start, finish, or failure of any of scheduled jobs. These emails are vital correct monitoring of automated tasks such as the uploading of patron records.

Innovative helpdesk's latest solution was to make changes to how our Exim mail service works with these emails. However, our IT team would ideally not want to do this as the underlying issue is fundamentally within Scheduler itself and implementing this could cause further confusion further on in the email chain. Our IT team reported the following back to Innovative support with no response thus far:

"The core issue is that the syntax of the "From" field in the email they generate is not RFC compliant. That is, it is breaking the rules of SMTP email construction and so should always be rejected.  Even if we were to install sendmail locally on the library server, the emails would still be rejected by our email gateway servers which run Exim.  The only way I've found to get around this problem is to have Exim strip the "From" header line in all emails and then Exim will construct a new valid "From" header.  The down side is that Exim will strip any text description that may also be present in the "From" header, such as "Millennium Scheduler Admin" in the case of the emails generated by the scheduler which is not ideal.

Really we need to have the scheduler module generating RFC compliant emails, rather than trying to work around the problem."

Is anyone else having similar problems with Scheduler on Red Hat Linux and possibly using Exim?

Many thanks,

Beverley

Beverley Hughes
Library Resourcing Manager
Library and Research Support,
Academic Services
Main Library
University of Exeter
Stocker Road
Exeter
EX4 4PT
UK

t 01392 723864
f 01392 723871
e [log in to unmask]

Disclaimer:

This email and any attachment may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or subject to copyright, and which may be exempt from disclosure under applicable legislation. It is intended for the addressee only. If you received this message in error, please let me know and delete the email and any attachments immediately. The University will not accept responsibility for the accuracy/completeness of this e-mail and its attachments. The University cannot guarantee that this message and any attachments are virus free. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the University.