Thank you all for your replies, here is the problem I am trying to solve:-

We have  one of our partner collaborations  trying to access a resource via our sso  library portal ( Athens authenticated) but we understand that they once had access to the same resource themselves using their own  IP address.  However their subscription has been cancelled but they retain archival access.  I can't understand why they can't access the resource if they have been authenticated with ATHENS via our library portal, could it be  they are being recognised by their original IP address and therefore are not getting into the service provided by us. Is this possible?

-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham McCann
Sent: 20 April 2012 10:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [lis-e-resources] IP and ATHENS authentication

Athens takes precedence for IOP Publishing: This allows for someone visiting an institution as a guest to get access to content via their home institution's account.

However, I agree with Alexander that  we would not challenge an IP-authenticated user for their Athens credentials, so the scenario above is unlikely.

Best wishes

Graham
--
Graham McCann, Head of Product Management and Innovation IOP Publishing, Temple Circus, Temple Way, Bristol, BS1 6BE
Phone: +44 (0)117 9301107 | Fax: +44 (0)117 9200789  | www.ioppublishing.org