From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taylor, Sarah
Sent: 17 April 2012 12:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [lis-e-resources] Decreasing usage statistics

Hi all,

Apologies for this ramble.

I'm currently looking in detail at usage of electronic resources and have discovered that across the board, usage is down comparing 2010 to
2011 for example. I'm doing this so I can demonstrate to folk high up in the university that our electronic resources are good value for money.
Not all of our resources are down, but looking at the overall picture, it's really quite bleak. Some are massively down. I was hoping that the results of my little exercise would show that usage is rising, but this appears not to be the case! Therefore, the positive report I was planning on writing is looking at little unlikely...

Has anyone else noticed a trend in usage statistics going down? If you have, have you managed to remain positive about the use of your electronic collections while still managing to demonstrate value for money? We don't have any sort of resource discovery product here, if that makes a difference (and I suspect it might).

All insights greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Taylor

Electronic Resources Librarian

The Peter Marsh Library

University of Bolton

Deane Road

Bolton

BL3 5AB

01204 903099

Please note that my normal working days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org/serials UKSG groups also available on Facebook and LinkedIn