I fully appreciate the need for the heritage crime controlled
vocabulary, but surely these terms (architectural theft, anti-social
behaviour, assault) aren't Events in the sense that HERs would use the
word?  They don't tie in with the MIDAS Heritage Investigative Activity
information group, ie 'an activity undertaken with the explicit
intention of gathering information about... a Heritage Asset'.  I
realise Isobel's example of neat excavation on a scheduled barrow may
have been closer to this, but I don't suppose the perpetrators left
behind 'an information source to record that information and
understanding'!  Surely there must be another better place to record
illegal or anti-social incidents - could Management Activity be expanded
to include recording of damage (ie the crime) as one of the stages?

Best wishes

Sarah Orr
Historic Environment Record Officer
Archaeology Service

West Berkshire Council
West Street House
West Street
Newbury
RG14 1BZ

Tel 01635 519805
Fax 01635 519811

[log in to unmask] <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.westberks.gov.uk/archaeology
<http://www.westberks.gov.uk/archaeology>

West Berkshire Council is committed to continuous improvement and we
recognise that we can always do better. If you have any comments to make
about the service you have received please let us know via our website -
www.westberks.gov.uk, by e-mail - [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> , by phone - 01635 42400 or by
contacting the archaeology service.