Hi - I *think* that if you want to treat this as a fully "paired" analysis then you will have to discard subjects who don't have results for all 4 conditions.
If you don't discard them, and instead do an unpaired analysis (eg a simple ANOVA), then you will probably lose sensitivity overall.
Cheers.

On 27 Apr 2012, at 12:37, Anne Klomp wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've found similar topics but none answered my specific problem.
>
> I've done a study in which I've scanned 12 subjects on 3 different days, and 2 scan sessions on each day.
> So in total 6 scans per subject.
>
> There are 3 baseline sessions, all followed by a 'challenge' scan where the subjects were under influence of a drug challenge or placebo challenge.
>
> I started with doing paired t-tests on the baseline scans and their following challenge scan to see the effect of the drug or placebo on each separate day.
>
> Now however, I want to compare these 'drug effects' to see if they are reliable in time (and different from placebo effect).
> For this, I want to do a third level analysis: a t-test on the results of the paired t-tests.
> (So, what is the drug effect of day 1 and how does this differ from the drug or placebo effect on day 2)
>
> The problem is as follows:
> I have some missing data sets in one of my tasks because of poor task performance.
>
> I understand that this is not a problem with the paired or 'triple' t-test or in a repeated measures ANOVA because the EV's with the subjects means will correct for this.
>
> But what if I use the cope files of the paired t-tests for the t-test to see differences in the drug effect between days?
> Can I only use those subjects from which I have all scans, so those that were both in the paired t-test of day 1 and in the paired t-test of day 2?
>
> And what if I would do a 2x2 ANOVA, with the four scans of 2 consecutive days and thus looking at pre/post challenge and day1/day2 with of course special interest in the interaction term?
> Do I then need to include only the subjects from which all four scans are present or could I also include subjects with missing scans since you also define EVs with the subjects means and thus 'tell' the program which scans are missing?
>
> How does FSL deal with the within-subject and between-subject variances in these cases?
>
> Many thanks in advance for clarifying this!

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)