Hi Jeanette,

You have been very helpful.

Thank you.

Rosalia.

2012/4/15 Jeanette Mumford <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

First, you need a column of 1s in your design matrix.

Secondly, a general rule of thumb is that unless you are looking at a contrast to get at the overall mean (the column of 1s), then you do not need to mean center.  So, if you're only interested in cognition, you do not need to mean center.  If you did mean center it wouldn't hurt anything.

I cannot think of a reason why you would also need to scale by the standard deviation in the case of covariates in a linear regression.

Cheers,
Jeanette