Paul, I wouldn’t worry too much about this point. I think that religious terminology has seeped into our everyday lives and have taken on a linguistic character of their own. Words and phrases like the ’10 Commandmnets’, ‘Bible’, ‘Holy Book’, ‘Mecca’, ‘pilgrimage’, etc. are used daily outside their religious contexts. Here are a few examples from Medline:

Anand S, Malhi GS. From manual to bible: the questionable hegemony of DSM IV. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2011 May;45(5):348-50.

Brown S. Hitler's bible: an analysis of the relationship between American and German eugenics in pre-war Nazi Germany. Vesalius. 2009 Jun;15(1):26-31.

Laitman JT. The Bible the flock will not follow. Anat Sci Educ. 2009 May-Jun;2(3):137-8.

Garber K. Who's behind the bible of mental illness. US News World Rep. 2007 Dec 31-2008 Jan 7;143(23):25-6.

Fye WB. Presidential address: The origins and evolution of the Mayo Clinic from 1864 to 1939: a Minnesota family practice becomes an international "medical Mecca". Bull Hist Med. 2010 Fall;84(3):323-57.

Vesely R. On a pilgrimage. Virginia Mason helps make Seattle a quality mecca. Mod Healthc. 2011 Jul 25;Suppl:24.

I see no religious insinuations behind these phrases when spoken outside the context of religious matters.

Ahmed