Date:    Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:17:46 +0000
From:    Jeremy Howick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Diagnosis

Hi,

There are well-known examples of therapies that were not evidence-based and were shown to be harmful (treating stroke with leeches applied to the anus, treating ventricular arrhythmias after myocardial infarction with antiarrhythmic drugs, etc.)

I'm looking for parallel examples of diagnostic tests or strategies that have been introduced without sufficient evidence and subsequently were revealed to be useless or harmful when the tests were rigorously evaluated in unbiased tests.

Jeremy