I’ve been reluctant to get involved in this discussion on end of life issues. However, as a disabled person, I feel I can’t afford to remain silent about an issue which may have direct implications on my future and on the future of other disabled people.

First, I would contest the distinction made between “assisted suicide” and “euthanasia”. While it is argued that the former is a request made by the person him/herself, it would be naïve for us to forget that there are social forces influencing such a decision - let alone family pressure. Indeed, if assisted suicide is legalized, a decision to continue living might be deemed as “selfish” and “irresponsible” as it would pose an unnecessary burden on one’s family or on society. We also need to factor in the economic situation that often determines the funds allocated to proper health care and independent living services.

Second, I think that before debating whether assisted suicide should be made legal, we have to ask ourselves why people are choosing to end their life in the first place,. Of course, physical pain is one reason that is often cited. However, are we ready to take an easy way out and encourage people living in already hard conditions to give up hope? Should we perhaps invest in pain management and id helping people to improve on their quality of life? Are we supporting people facing, in our case, terminal conditions, enough or are we reducing on their options?

Third, I understand that the end of life debate is a highly controversial and emotional one. I have been through moments in my life when I was experiencing excruciating pain and felt isolated. I admit that during these moments, I would have considered to die if that option would have been available or if I felt that any decision to prolong my life was proving to be a burden on others. I am afraid that there were occasions in life when I felt my life as a disabled person was being devalued when I hear people telling me that they would prefer to die rather than live like me. In this sense, wouldn’t assisted suicide promote this kind of attitude that you have to prove you’re worthy of living?

I don’t claim that my views represent the views of all disabled people. However, what I know is that if we insist on legalizing for assisted suicide, we risk to reduce any effort to make the life of people with terminal conditions better. And, in the long run, assisted suicide will be presented as a “free choice” to people who are deemed by society to be “undesirable” and it will extend to include disabled people, minorities and so on. DespiteDespite any claims that this process of providing this right will be regulated, if people find that their choices have been limited or that they see no other ways to solve their situation, then the choice to end their lives isn’t rally free at all.

I apologize for my long response. However, today we’re discussing whether people should be given the right to be assisted in ending their life. Tomorrow we will be arguing that people who are facing difficult conditions have the responsibility to end their lives for the benefit of the many. instead of focusing on assisted living, or ways we could improve independent living and pain management (where needed), we are instead focusing on how to get rid of what we perceive as the problem. And that I cannot ever agree to.

Best,
Gordon

Gordon C. Cardona
BA (Hons.) Malta, MA (Leeds)