Marion Hersh: "Unfortunately, measures that allow the right to die can threaten the right to live and also do so on a discriminatory basis, which particularly threatens disabled people, ethnic minorities, poor people and anyone else whose life is considered of less value."
Rachel Williams: Yet, based on decades of data collection the overwhelming majority of recipients of PAS/voluntary euthanasia are not from these groups.

Marion: "As has already been stated on this list, the data also shows that in countries such as Netherlands, there are a large number of assisted deaths which have not been actively sought or even permission obtained. "

Rachel: That statements makes no sense.

Marion: "That sounds suspiciously like murder or at least homicide to me, so I am not sure about the comments about there not being I 'slippery slope', exactly whatever that is."

Rachel: Refer to the Dutch data. There's no evidence of a slippery slope -- i.e., marked increase in the frequency of euthanasia or of ever expanding allowances since "legalization".

Marion: "Therefore, I would suggest that in the current economic and political climate we need to focus on the right to live."

Rachel: We already do.

 Marion: "We
        also need to campaign for more resources to be available for
        older people, disabled people etc,"

Rachel: Such campaigns exist. But you should be clear on what you mean by "disabled people".

"to increase economic
        independence and control over the way assistance is obtained, so
        that people do not feel that they are a burden."

Rachel: Feeling a burden is generally not the primary motivation for requesting, or opting for, euthanasia/assisted suicide.

________________________________
Unfortunately, measures that allow the right to die can threaten
        the right to live and also do so on a discriminatory basis,
        which particularly threatens disabled people, ethnic minorities,
        poor people and anyone else whose life is considered of less
        value.  As has already been stated on this list, the data also
        shows that in countries such as Netherlands, there are a large
        number of assisted deaths which have not been actively sought or
        even permission obtained.  That sounds suspiciously like murder
        or at least homicide to me, so I am not sure about the comments
        about there not being I 'slippery slope', exactly whatever that
        is.  Therefore, I would suggest that in the current economic and
        political climate we need to focus on the right to live.  We
        also need to campaign for more resources to be available for
        older people, disabled people etc, to increase economic
        independence and control over the way assistance is obtained, so
        that people do not feel that they are a burden.
Marion