From: "Thomas Neuville" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: EPC - March 28, 2012 - Update
Date: Sat, Apr 7, 2012 12:46

Friend Gordon speaks my mind.
Thomas

On Apr 7, 2012, at 4:09 AM, Gordon C. Cardona wrote:

Dear Rachel,

First of all, I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond to my comments.. It's obvious that we have strong views about this subject and we're very passionate about the end-of-life issue. Regrettably, I have neither the time or energy to engage in a line-by-line response. I may really part of, as you say, a "vocal minority", but I don't feel that the fact my views represent a minority view makes them of less value.
I admit that I haven't had time to read evidence related to the prevalence of assisted suicide in countries where this is legal. This is something I hope to redress in the future.

Having said that, I have done extensive reading around the dark history of the Third Reich where the genocide and mass murder of millions started off with the T-4 euthanasia programme which targeted disabled people, especially those living in institutions. While this is euthanasia and different from assisted suicide, the range of people targeted for "elimination" were those considered to be unfit to contribute to the economy. While people wouldn't openly declare that disabled people are "burdens", that doesn't mean their attitude and actions ton]t indicate they perceive us as such.

Yes, our decisions are all influenced by factors ranging from social to institutional but the decision to end one's life is, I reiterate, unlike any other decision we take for it's irreversible. Here, I feel that I can't really be completely objective about this topic as it may affect me directly in the future if the lobby to legalise assisted suicide gains more international support. Yet, remaining silent on this issue would mean denying me an opportunity to express my right to live.

I will end this email here. For, even if I wished to respond to your comments to greater length and to back it up with further evidence, I am currently in no position to do so. To be honest, this is why I hesitated to contribute to this topic in the first place. I remain unconvinced that any amount of regulations will remain strict and not permit assisted suicide to be available to more and more people and with regulations becoming more open. Again, I don't have any evidence at the moment.

Thanks,
Gordon