Of course, we consult the variant readings all the time.  Impossible
to read, e.g., Lucretius or Propertius without doing so.

Of course, we need to eliminate from consideration many witnesses to
many authors, both for the limited value they bring and the practical
reality that life is short and collating manuscripts of limited value
is tedious and unrewarding work.  (The reward can lie elsewhere:  if
Machiavelli's copy of Lucretius turned up, we'd study every line of it
carefully, even though it is most unlikely that it would influence how
we print Lucretius himself.)

So a project like Musisque Deoque can be of high value if it merely
reproduces existing editions well in a way that allows easy access to
the encoded information.  Doing that on a large scale would make
available to digital users material that now must be consulted in
print form.  That would surely be good.  How good?  To be more
precise, how many dollars or euros would you spend on doing that?
Complicated question that would take real work to answer.

But born-digital editions with many witnesses encoded, manuscripts
imaged, earlier editions consulted, etc.?  The Homer Multitext seeks
such a goal; will take years to advance; and exists in a unique
situation of a leading scholar, human and financial resources
available, and a project of broad interest to many readers of
classical texts.  The question should be what other possible projects
connect scholarly expertise, human and financial resources, and a
scholarly need/value for that particular edition?  That they are, so
far, few is not a condemnation of digital editing or of scholars who
refuse to participate:  it's a reflection of an intrinsic difficulty
that cannot be minimized.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown