From: Lawrence Serewicz

Sent: 04/27/12 05:15 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [data-protection] Subject access [Ezias will disappear with technology]

Dear All,

I think there are secondary messages to draw from this decision, which do NOT grant relief to data controllers. They reflect the changing nature of records management (read broadly to include document management and information management).

First, Lloyds disclosed a lot more information in the lead up to the decision.. They were able to locate it, without the apparent disproportionate effort.  One may note that they will have likely been able to do this given the concern with Earles v Barclays.

In Earles v Barclays Bank [2009] EWHC 2500 (Mercantile) the Judge imposed costs sanctions on the successful defendant for failure to conduct disclosure satisfactorily (see #Costs below). He said (at [71]):

"It might be contended that CPR 31PD 2A and electronic disclosure are little known or practised outside the Admiralty and Commercial Court. If so, such myth needs to be swiftly dispelled when over 90% of business documentation is electronic in form. The Practice Direction is in the Civil Procedure Rules and those practising in civil courts are expected to know the rules and practise them; it is gross incompetence not to." (http://www.edisclosure.uk.com/wiki_new/index.php?title=Electronic_Disclosure)

I have not read the decision in detail and I do not know Lloyds approach to this, but a desire to comply with CPR will have played a part. Happy to be corrected on this point.

Second, technology is changing so that disproportionate effort on *electronic* searches will be harder and harder to justify.  In part, because organisations will need to meet DPA requirements (in principle they have to meet the 8 principles). In part, because they will have to meet the requirements of the emerging right to be forgotten.  Finally, in part to meet CPR (e-discovery requirements).

With each passing year, we become more electronic in our records.  With each passing year, the search systems become more advanced.  In time disproportionate effort and fees notices will fade.  During this transition phase, the court’s approach makes sense. However, they will disappear in time.

I would be interested in how those operating with e-discovery and CPR view the situation and whether they review it as it relates to Data Protection Subject Access requirements.  After all, if you can find it for court, it should be found for DPA would be one way to look at it.

Best,

Lawrence