From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marchini, Renzo
Sent: Wednesday 25 April 2012 09:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Small error in the question I set! London Marathon: Runners' details accidentally shared

But the other question is so much more interesting (a third party website) ……

SPOILER ALERT (for those who want to do some exam practice)

(a) Yes.  Irrelevant where the equipment (ie server in US) is for the purpose of section 3. Individual determines purpose (whatever that is by posting) and means of processing – section 1(1) def - and is resident in the UK – section 3(a)

(b) No. Lindqvist case says you lose domestic purpose when you make it publicly available on internet

(c) It could only be para 6 and I can’t really see how the first part is made out (but we can’t know that for certain since strictly I suppose it depends on why the person did it – what was the website all about?). But in any case, must be unwarranted in terms of the rights of the data subjects.   So I go for “no”.

Renzo Marchini

Counsel
Dechert LLP
+44 (0) 20 7184 7563 direct