Dear Martin,

If you are going to do anything more than the NOE ratio I would suggest
using relax.

http://www.nmr-relax.com/

This has the advantage that it calculates errors from RMSD values within
Sparky, and if peaks are near the water line for example, you can change
the RMSD value for that individual peak so that it would have a larger
error.  If you do choose to do this, it's fairly laborious but the results
that come out are quite good and are then ready to input into Lipari-Szabo
model free calculations using 'relax' along with T1 and T2 values (which
relax can also calculate from peak heights, though you should make sure
they're all picked correctly by using Analysis to check curve fitting
first) if that is what you want to do.  The program can also tell you if
your results are consistent between two different fields (consistency.py
script).  In addition the manual is absolutely excellent and has a lot of
the theory and technical details within it.

This is how you do it.

1.  Export peak lists from Analysis in Sparky format (making sure the
order is 1. heteronucleus, 2. proton - you'll see what I mean when you do
this).

2. You need to be able to open your spectra in Sparky, so

> pipe2ucsf hsqc.ft2 hsqc.ucsf

should process them to the correct format.

4.  Open in sparky by typing 'fo' into the box, zoom out so you can see
the whole spectrum (zo) and select a typical region of the spectrum with
no peaks (rm - then drag the mouse over where you want).  At this point
you can also get RMSD values for any peaks that are in regions with a lot
of noise.

5.  Using the 'noe.py' script within relax you should be able then get the
values (noe.out) and Grace graphs.

6.  You can either run relax using the command line eg. '> relax noe.py'
or by using the GUI (though I personally find it more useful to use the
command line).

Hope this helps,

Madeleine Strickland

MCJC Group
N317, School of Chemistry, Bristol University