It all will depend on the resolution. At low resolution, relaxing the geometric restraints will allow the refinement program to tweak the model such that the difference between Fobs and Fcalc is minimized, but not that the model gets closer to the "truth". I once struggled for a long time with a 3.5Åish data set with a protein where the most important feature was a rather flexible loop. It was before maximum likelyhood methods and Rfrees and the only way I could get rid of the model bias was to use extremely tight geometric restraints. The Rfactor would go up, but suddenly the electron density maps would no longer accept incorrectly placed side chains and new features, not present in the model, would appear.

So my advice: at low resolution use as tight restraints as possible and monitor with Rfree if you are going in the right direction. At high or very high resolution, you can follow what your diffraction data tells you. In fact many very high resolution structures (< 1.5 Å) have higher rmsd's for bond lenghts and angles as medium resolution structures. However, at medium or low resolution there is not enough data to justify to relax the geometric restraints too much.

Best regards,
Herman

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Nicholls
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 9:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Refmac and sigma value

Hi Uma,

Altering sigma affects the strength of geometry restraints throughout the model - bonds, angles, etc. Choosing a very low sigma will cause geometry to be more tightly restrained towards "ideal" values, which is why you observe improvements in Coot validation.  Note that strengthening the geometry weight causes the observations (data) to be less influential in refinement. The "risk" of this is that your model may no longer appropriately/optimally describe your data. You can assess this locally by manual inspection of the electron density, and globally by considering overall refinement statistics (as reported at the bottom of the Refmac5 log file). Ideally, you want your model to both describe the data and have reasonable geometry.

Regards
Rob

On 26 Apr 2012, at 21:26, Uma Ratu wrote:

Hi, Alex:

> Which sigma do you mean?

The one for automatic weight, not for Jelly-body refinement.

I did not turn the "Jelly-body refinement" on.

Thanks

Ros