The PNAS paper you refer to talks about a "loss of definition" of
exposed carboxyl O atoms, i.e. an increase in B factor, but presumably
if this is modelled properly then it shouldn't leave a big hole in the
difference map.  After all, the paper is not claiming that C-O bonds
are broken, only that there is "increased mobility" (or just as
likely, induced static disorder).  I'm wondering if this is related to
too-tight B-factor restraints.  I never use the default settings and
always use more relaxed ones: in particular I set the weights of B
factor restraints across angles to zero, IMO the across-bond
restraints are more than sufficient.  There has been a historical
obsession with getting B factors as low as possible (too-tight
restraints will certainly achieve this if that is your goal!), but
isn't the true goal of refinement to obtain the model which best
explains the data?

Cheers

-- Ian