A 32 bit Linux OS with PAE enabled (which is all of the current Linux
distros) can actually address 64 Gb of memory, but no more than 3 Gb per
process. 3 Gb may not be that much of a limitation for many processes, so
large performance increases on a 64-bit system compared to a 32-bit may be
difficult to observe in practice for now.

Roger Rowlett