Dear Manfred,

Outside Germany, such excursions are called "humour". If you are interested,
here is the Wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

--Gerard

PS: It was on a Sunday so all levity was perpetrated in people's own time.
Today we'll all be serious again and frown and tut-tut appropriately.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Manfred S. Weiss wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I find this discussion most amazing. Here, we are dealing with the most
> serious issue
> that happened to Macromolecular Crystallography since the Alabama case,
> and the
> whole discussion is centered around singular and plural and Greek and
> Latin words
> and what not.
>
> In psychology such phenomenon is referred to as displacement activity.
>
> If you are interested, here is the MacMillon definition of it:
>
> http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/displacement-activity
>
> Cheers,
>
> Manfred
>

> On 01.04.2012 19:35, Gerard Bricogne wrote:

>>> When it are plural?
>>       Good nit-picking :-) . In my mind the quotes around "data" would have
>> had the same effect as writing 'the word "data"', and referring to that
>> word
>> by the 'it'. So there is only one word, while its grammatical number is
>> plural.
>>

>>> At any rate, I heard a Nobel laureate use it incorrectly just two days
>>> ago.
>>       We shouldn't learn to write by imitating Nobel laureates, then.
>>

>>       With best wishes,
>>
>>            Gerard.
>>
>>> --
>>> =======================================================================
>>> All Things Serve the Beam
>>> =======================================================================
>>>                                 David J. Schuller
>>>                                 modern man in a post-modern world
>>>                                 MacCHESS, Cornell University
>
> --
> Dr. Manfred. S. Weiss
> Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin f?r Materialien und Energie
> Macromolecular Crystallography (HZB-MX)
> Albert-Einstein-Str. 15
> D-12489 Berlin
> GERMANY
> Fon:   +49-30-806213149
> Fax:   +49-30-806214975
> Web:   http://www.helmholtz-berlin.de/bessy-mx
> Email: [log in to unmask]
>

> ________________________________
>
> Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin f?r Materialien und Energie GmbH
>
> Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren
> e.V.
>
> Aufsichtsrat: Vorsitzender Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch, stv.
> Vorsitzende Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
> Gesch?ftsf?hrerin: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla
>
> Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583
>
> Postadresse:
> Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
> D-14109 Berlin
>
> http://www.helmholtz-berlin.de

Best wishes,

--Gerard

                            Gerard J. Kleywegt

       http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard   mailto:[log in to unmask]
    The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
    to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
    Little known gastromathematical curiosity: let "z" be the
    radius and "a" the thickness of a pizza. Then the volume
             of that pizza is equal to pi*z*z*a !