Dipankar,

What you describe occurs frequently and some times improves with refinement
and other times does not.  I suggest not adding ligands until the rest of
the structure is well behaved - usually around 25-28% Rfree.  This will
tend to favor the highest quality electron density and will not have bias
from the ligand in the phases.  Small proteins with electron rich ligands
may need the ligand fitted to cross even 30%, but it is a guideline.

Also keep in mind that organic molecules can show true electron density
shifts based on the chemistry present.  A sulfonamide on a phenyl ring will
for instance pull most of the electrons (on average) from the ring, leaving
it looking more like a comma than a disc...even at quite high
resolution...it is "real" electronics observed visually.

Your second question regarding ~100A^2 for the B-factor of the ligand
requires further clarification:

1.  Is the resolution of your data sufficient to warrant individual B
refinement?  If so, what is the average B of residues near the ligand?  In
general, I ligand at roughly 100% occupancy should have B-factors within
10-20% of the value of the protein.  Some programs do a poor job of
refining B-factors of ligands.  X-PLOR, for instance used to have a hard
time with them.

2.  What is the relative quality of the electron density of the ligand vs
protein?  Does it suggest less than full occupancy of the ligand in the
pocket?  If so, the approximate occupancy of the compound can be estimated
by the comparison of the ligand B and nearby protein B factors.  A ligand B
twice the value of the protein residues would roughly suggest an occupancy
of 50%.  You can try that and see if the Bfactors stabilize.

Cheers,
Jim

--
*