VACANCY

Black Cultural Archives

Collections Manager (Maternity Cover)

Duration 9 months

Salary £31,000 per annum pro rata

Black Cultural Archives (BCA) is a community archive, established in south London in 1981 to collect, preserve and promote understanding of Black cultural heritage. Our collections span several centuries and include a wide variety of material, including plantation records, personal papers, rare books, press cuttings, photographs, sculptures and other artefacts, reflecting the history of the African diaspora and the presence of Black people in Britain. Black Cultural Archives was recently awarded £4m by the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the establishment of a new centre for Black cultural heritage in Brixton, to open in 2013.

We have successfully catalogued our legacy collection, secured the funds for our capital campaign and issued the main contract to refurbish and transform Raleigh Hall (a derelict grade 2 listed building in the heart of Brixton in the London Borough of Lambeth) into the first national Black heritage centre in the UK.

It is a very exciting time for us. We are now involved in delivering the multiple work streams that take the organisation through to opening.

A Collections Manager is sought to start ASAP to cover the current post-holder’s maternity leave and to lead on the Collections Service, which includes managing the Assistant Archivist and organising the move of the archive to the new Centre.

You will be joining a small, friendly and diverse team dedicated to endowing an established, grassroots community organisation with the skills and facilities of a professional archive and education centre.

Interested applicants should email [log in to unmask] for more information and a recruitment pack.

The closing date for applications is 5.00 pm Wednesday 18th April

Interviews will be held on Friday 27th April

Disclaimers apply for full details see http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/EmailDisclaimer.htm