From: ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 23 April 2012 14:12:12 GMT+01:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC Digest - 23 Apr 2012 - Special issue (#2012-84)

Topics in this special issue:

 1. academic career (5)
 2. Professionalisation - was academic career (2)

Date:    Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:32:38 +0100
From:    Nicholas Campion <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: academic career

Hi,

The discussion is in danger of wandering off-topic somewhat, but as the
debate between academics and non-academics (both of whom may not may not be
practitioners) surfaces periodically on the list, can I just answer the
criticisms of ivory towered elitism.

Getting a PhD is hard work and requires that one submits one's work for
criticism, which is not always easy. Being an academic requires that this
process is ongoing.  It's all about scholarship, education and the exchange
of ideas. Anyone can participate as long as they put in the effort.

Having just looked at Michael Barker's blog it strikes me that his actions
and statements are totally elitist in that he regards himself as superior to
those ordinary mortals who accept their degrees. He is setting himself apart
from and above his fellows.

Almost all the practitioners I know who have decided to explore academic
approaches, whether at undergraduate or postgraduate level, have benefited
enormously from the experience,

Nick