My own view is that the holding of a PhD is an indicator only of one’s ability to follow a certain approach to knowledge acquisition, analysis and dissemination.

Can you explain to me how attainment of an 'ijaza from Al-Azhar or Najaf or conferral of teaching rights by traditional institutions such as ones in Nepal or elsewhere is not an indicator of a certain approach to knowledge, acquisition, analysis and dissemination? Is indicators of a certain approach to knowledge acquisition, analysis and dissemination only valid and legitimate within the loci of Western secular cultural contexts whereby all others from elsewhere are not? I am sorry, but the insistence of Segal and his generally patronizing condescensions are indicative of a highly culturally hegemonic (and very racist) approach to what is scholarship.