Aloha,

On 4/24/2012 9:18 AM, Dr Dave Evans wrote:
> Interdisciplinary study as a methodology is not entirely a comfortable
> fit with the nuts and bolts ways that university departmental
> structure is put together and managed.
When I was there, my alma mater emphasized and promoted
the notion of "interdisciplinary studies" in a variety of ways,
including having formally acknowledged interdisciplinary
programs of study and administrative centers.

My own grant affiliation was with the interdisciplinary Center
for South Asian Studies, although my academic affiliation was
with the Anthropology Department. Practically speaking, this
entailed my office space being in the building hosting the
Center not in the one hosting the Department. Which, I
discovered, did influence my overall relationship with the
Department in a slightly negative manner.

Interdisciplinary = shadow person.

Taking the notion of interdisciplinary studies more or less
seriously, I also discovered that many academics are neither
willing nor prepared to understand and support research that
crosscuts disciplines and/or received departmental turf.

What actually brought about some lasting re-alignments
toward some sorts of interdisciplinary studies in my university's
social science college turned out to be the simultaneous
establishment of two colleges of human medicine, thanks
to a generous state legislature. Interdisciplinary medicine X
social science became quite do-able, and many revealed that
they had been doing such interdisciplinary studies all along,
even when nobody noticed before.

Even me.

Musing I Found Bioscientists Fascinating, Even Ethnographically
Fascinating, But I Also Found It Chancy To Reveal Their Secrets! Rose,

Pitch
Michigan State University alum