Dear Zooarchers,

I’m the zooarchaeologist at a small commercial archaeology firm in Virginia, USA and I have been working towards building a small but serviceable reference collection for myself. In the past I’ve had experience with a museum using dermestids, and have read through the 1991 ICAZ “Guide to the Curation of Archaeozoological Collections,” but I was hoping to get some opinions on the best and most sensible methods for my situation.

I don’t need a vast collection, as we mostly work on historic-period (1700s and on) sites in Virginia, so I’m after primarily domestic livestock, domestic avians, small mammals, and the like. Additionally, I inherited a handful of specimens from white-tailed deer, cow, horse, and some small mammal skulls. Many of my colleagues are avid hunters, so the proper procurement of carcasses shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Would setting up a dermestid colony be worth it? Or would soaking make more sense? Obviously, once I’ve accessioned the specimens I need I wouldn’t need to continue to process more skeletons as a museum or research institution would. Does anyone have any experience with reference collections in a commercial or very small academic setting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thank you!

Kevin

--

Kevin S. Gibbons, M.Sc., RPA

Archeologist

Thunderbird Archeology

A division of Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc.

5300 Wellington Branch Drive, Suite 100

Gainesville, Virginia 20155

Phone: 703.679.5695

Mobile: 703.232.7310