There are still places available on this programme to Turkey can you please forward it to any of your contacts who may be interested in taking part – contact is Sheila (details at bottom of page).

Turkey 11th – 18th May 2012

Study Visit to Gaziantep, Þanlýurfa, Kilis and Kahramanmaraþ

CHIST (Cultural Heritage Interpretation and Sustainable Tourism) Looking for examples of how cultural heritage interpretation is linked into sustainable tourism and how communities can work together utilising and conserving their cultural heritage to develop tourism in a sustainable way, to grow the economy and ultimately create new jobs.

"This incredible opportunity has confirmed to me, that for the tourist to be able to demystify a foreign culture, no number of museum visits or tours around pretty buildings or guidebooks will divulge as much or bring you closer to an understanding of a culture and way of life as food will. Food opens the curtains on a window which reveals the place, the living world as well as the ancient world, the environment, the traditions and the history. How lucky I am for I don’t believe any other place could make this so apparent." Dede MacGillivray Turkey 2010

"When we share our heritage it gets bigger, if we hide it, no one will know”. Filiz Hosukoglu,  Arch's Turkish partner

Arch provides fully funded study visits for trainers from Scotland's cultural heritage and tourism industry to visit organisations in other European countries to exchange best practice and establish new contacts and partnerships for future cooperation. Our European Partners work in a variety of contexts including cultural tourism, ‘living heritage’, traditional construction techniques and reconstruction, tourist network development and museums. These study visits are funded by the Leonardo da Vinci programme; the costs of travel, accommodation and subsistence are covered by the grant.

CHIST ( Cultural Heritage Interpretation and Sustainable Tourism) aims to develop the skills of Scottish professionals who train or coach others in the field of heritage interpretation and sustainable tourism. This will be done through a programme of exchanges with partners in 6 European countries: Romania, Bulgaria,Turkey, Iceland, Estonia and Slovakia. 5/6 people will be sent to each country, spending 7 - 8 days participating in workshops, site visits, hands-on activities and seminars. This is intended to be an intellectual exchange –European partners will come to Scotland, but you are not obliged to host them. Although we do hope to initiate new projects from all of our partners.

CHIST offers wonderful opportunities to network with people doing similar work in Scotland. It’s a great way to fulfill you CPD requirements and personal training plans for 2012. All of our partners welcome input from participants, they are very happy to adjust their itinerary to cover topics that are of specific interest to Scottish practitioners

Details of previous exchanges are available on our website http://www.archnetwork.eu/pages/.

For further details please contact Sheila Roberts at [log in to unmask].

Archnetwork

Tel: 01764 670653

Fax: 01764 679002

Address: 1st Floor Davidson House, Drummond Street, Comrie, Perthshire, Scotland PH6 2DW