From: For anyone working in education with an interest in virtual worlds [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Virtual World Watch [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 March 2012 12:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VIRTUALWORLDS] Whither VWW report?

Peter-pops,

On 21 Mar 2012, at 12:30, Miller, Peter wrote:

For my sins I'm giving a presentation at a RL conference on use of OpenSim in my subject area next week. I'm trying to anticipate awkward questions and one of the most obvious is the lack of uptake at an institutional level. Now the obvious answer in my case is that OpenSim has only recently become a viable alternative to SL, at least in my area, and that SL has/had its own issues, some of which OpenSim addresses more successfully than others (cost, running behind firewall vs no web viewer or mobile option).

In this context, regardless of the merits or otherwise of my own activities, it would be useful to know which universities are providing support at an institutional level and it might be handy to have a quick peruse of the VWW snapshot if available. Otherwise, of course, I can read the online extracts but I assume they are just a subset of the final report? Or is the report just too depressing?

Depressing? No - cautiously more positive about Virtual Worlds in education than (personally) have been since the summer of 2009. Though perhaps more optimistic about OpenSim and similar, than Second Life.

The print version of #10 (#10.2) was somewhat out of date before it was even sent out and had one glaringly bad error in it, as a few people (somewhat gleefully and unhelpfully) pointed out.

#10.4 has the same snapshot submissions - all of the legit ones are on www.virtualworldwatch.net so you can take them from there. Will wrap some updated and hopefully more future-proof (i.e. not out of date within a week) text around these and put back up soon - funded work is a priority and VWW is (again) in non-funded status. I think I'll rob a bank*; that appears to be where all the money / funding has gone to.

John Kirriemuir
Virtual World Watch

* - if either the authorities, or US immigration, read this, I wish to clarify that was a joke.

Access the list, archives and filestore via the web on http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/VIRTUALWORLDS

NOTICE

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.

Access the list, archives and filestore via the web on http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/VIRTUALWORLDS