Peter-pops,

On 21 Mar 2012, at 12:30, Miller, Peter wrote:

> For my sins I'm giving a presentation at a RL conference on use of
> OpenSim in my subject area next week. I'm trying to anticipate
> awkward questions and one of the most obvious is the lack of uptake
> at an institutional level. Now the obvious answer in my case is that
> OpenSim has only recently become a viable alternative to SL, at
> least in my area, and that SL has/had its own issues, some of which
> OpenSim addresses more successfully than others (cost, running
> behind firewall vs no web viewer or mobile option).
>
> In this context, regardless of the merits or otherwise of my own
> activities, it would be useful to know which universities are
> providing support at an institutional level and it might be handy to
> have a quick peruse of the VWW snapshot if available. Otherwise, of
> course, I can read the online extracts but I assume they are just a
> subset of the final report? Or is the report just too depressing?

Depressing? No - cautiously more positive about Virtual Worlds in
education than (personally) have been since the summer of 2009. Though
perhaps more optimistic about OpenSim and similar, than Second Life.

The print version of #10 (#10.2) was somewhat out of date before it
was even sent out and had one glaringly bad error in it, as a few
people (somewhat gleefully and unhelpfully) pointed out.

#10.4 has the same snapshot submissions - all of the legit ones are on www.virtualworldwatch.net
  so you can take them from there. Will wrap some updated and
hopefully more future-proof (i.e. not out of date within a week) text
around these and put back up soon - funded work is a priority and VWW
is (again) in non-funded status. I think I'll rob a bank*; that
appears to be where all the money / funding has gone to.

John Kirriemuir
Virtual World Watch

* - if either the authorities, or US immigration, read this, I wish to
clarify that was a joke.

Access the list, archives and filestore via the web on http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/VIRTUALWORLDS