Hi Rob,

On 9 March 2012 16:28, Rob Fay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Alessandra,
>
> On 09/03/2012 16:13, Alessandra Forti wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>>

>>>  This is what Manchester is doing following the Glue schema. Of course
>> we loose
>> out when the cluster is half full but we try to keep it full and we use
>> all the
>> 24 slots so not being full is less systematic than what you want to do.
>>

> That's an option, but I don't think we'd really want to do that on our
> nodes. Aside from the increased contention for I/O, our benchmarking shows
> total HS06 not only virtually flatlines but actually goes down as you reach
> full hyperthreaded capacity on these boxes - the total HS06 for 24 runs is
> less than the total HS06 for 18 runs.

Sure, but if you mean you're actually benchmarking with HS06, there's a
caveat to consider: real life performance of jobs (especially analysis
jobs, which are more I/O, and less CPU, heavy) is not precisely HS06-like.
The real-life performance figures I've managed to get out of ATLAS's
experimental monitoring system (built out of HammerCloud) suggest that
performance for QMUL's hyperthreaded cores converges on 50% (from above)
those of non-hyperthreaded cores, for their analysis load. This is somewhat
better than the pessimistic figure that HS06 gives you (although I suspect
production will look more like the HS06 figures).

Sam