The Book 'Policing, Surveillance and Social Control', by Tim Newburn and Stephanie Hayman (Willan 2002) provides an interesting case study of the use of CCTV in Police Custody Suites.  The welfare aspects, particularly preventing police maltreatment of prisoners and trying to reduce self harm of arrestees are well documents as is the ambivalent attitudes of the watchers to having access to very intrusive footage of people in police cells.

On 30/03/2012 18:43, gtmarx wrote:
Katrina, Anders, David and colleagues glad to see the discussion on care as a goal within surveillance. As a careful reading of the less hysteric literature suggests this is indeed a centipiedic or maybe millipedic beast. Some distinctions I find useful to further complicate matters --whose definition of purpose or goal are we talking about --those who create and/or sponsor a program/practice; the view of various publics and interest groups; agents who apply it (whether in collection or application); subjects who may (or may not) acquiesce to it; all that is at the level of beliefs put forth that can be found by interviewing --if we can trust the interviewer and those interviewed to be honest or to know. An equally important factor is to consider the link re intentions and outcomes. That is, apart from what is claimed happens in practice, --what are the consequences?

Another complicating factor involves the multiplicity of goals that can be noted. In a chapter on goals in my forthcoming book now (happily) at the publisher I identity a large number of goals, locate goals within the broader field of surveillance studies (alongside of attributes of the tool used and the kind of personal data involved and various social processes that subvert goals) and identify a number of methodological and theoretical challenges to understanding surveillance goals. I'd be glad to send the chapter to anyone who is interested.

We badly need concepts related to goals such as care, convenience, control, documentation and entertainment to mention only a sample, but we also need to avoid reductionism, too rigid dichotomies, and to note how dynamic goals are, how they criss-cross, change and vary depending on where and when we look.  Gary

www.garymarx.net

I'm looking for books or articles that focus on care as a surveillance practice (particularly concerning healthcare, but care in general would be fine as well). I'm interested in both empirical studies and theoretical or conceptual work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Katina Michael
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 8:29 AM
Subject: Surveillance and care

Hi Anders

My colleagues and I have looked at human microchipping and location-based services with respect to control, convenience and care solutions. In some work we have looked at this paradigm against a tagging, tracing and tracking capacity.

You might find the following of interest:

A. Masters and K. Michael. "Humancentric Applications of RFID Implants: The Usability Contexts of Control, Convenience and Care" The Second IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Commerce and Services (1 ed). Ed. C. Linnhoff-Popien, A. Kuepper and J. Gao. Munich, Germany: IEEE Computer Society, 2005. 32-41.
 Available at: http://works.bepress.com/kmichael/25

A. Masters and K. Michael. "Lend me your arms: the use and implications of humancentric RFID" Electronic Commerce Research and Applications 6.1 (2006): 29-39.
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/kmichael/40

Interview with Mr Kenneth Lea (carer of Dementia sufferer): in K. Michael and M.G. Michael (2009) Innovative Automatic Identification and Location-Based Services: from Barcodes to Chip implants

http://works.bepress.com/kmichael/64/

For other works search outcomes from Perusco et al. These files can be found here: http://ro.uow.edu.au/kmichael

Cheers,

Katina

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to : UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************