Dear colleagues

I am very pleased to announce that booking is now open for the seventh seminar in the 2011/12 educational research seminars series run by the Learning Institute at Queen Mary, University of London. The seminar takes place between 12 noon and 2pm in Room FB1.02 on the First Floor of the Bancroft Building on the Mile End campus of QMUL.

Led by Professor Sue Bloxham (Professor of Academic Practice at the University of Cumbria) and entitled "Understanding the rules of the game: helping students really grasp what we are looking for when we mark", the seminar will present the findings of research which investigated tutors' thinking whilst marking work across a range of disciplines including medicine, social science, education and creative arts. The research showed that the learning outcomes or assessment criteria which often form the basis of guidance and feedback to students do not appear to form the basis of tutors’ judgements which tend to be more holistic and impressionistic. The seminar discussion will build on what we know about helping students develop an holistic understanding of what they are trying to do in their writing.

For full details, directions to the site and to book, go to the seminar web page. Lunch will be provided for those who book in advance. You can also book directly from this email by emailing [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask].

I very much hope you will be able to attend this seminar which looks at a very pertinent topic for all those involved in assessment in higher education.

The remaining seminars in this year's series are below. All seminars run between 12noon and 2pm, and lunch is provided for all for those who book.

14th May 2012 Dr Peter Kahn, Educational Developer, University of Liverpool The agency of early career academics: a counterpart to student engagement?

11th June 2012 Professor Penny Jane Burke, Professor of Education, Roehampton University The future of widening participation

I look forward to seeing you at some (or even all) of the seminars this year.

With best wishes,

Matthew

Dr Matthew J. Williamson

Senior Education Adviser and Director of the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice

The Learning Institute at Queen Mary, University of London

London

E1 4NS

Tel: 020 7882 2813

www.learninginstitute.qmul.ac.uk