Hi,

it is customary to look at that range because higher frequencies may be
contaminated due to aliased cardiorespiratory artifacts (as well as with
high frequency motion artifacts in the borders of the brain).

However it is not clear that proper artifact removal (i.g. RETROICOR
method) does not allow to reveal functionally meaningful organization at
higher frequencies (up to the highest recordable with fMRI). As an example,
look at the following paper:
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/21/7910.short

Bw,

Enzo