An interaction is modelled in the following way:

Y=Ax1+Bx2+Cx1x2

If you don't have x1 times x2 in the model, then you can't assess the interaction. If they are highly correlated, then it will be hard to assess whether the interaction is is due to the two variables or if the data would be fit better by a quadratic (e.g. Y=Ax1+Cx1^2).

If you have two models, you could compare either the slopes OR the correlation coefficient. This analysis would tell you if the correlation or slope of the relationship is different between the models. This is not an interaction though. For the later, you could convert the T-statistic to an Z-score and compare the Z-scores. Comparing the betas would be slightly more complicated because you'd have to compute the error by hand based since the difference of the betas does not have an error term. If they are so highly correlated, as you suggest, then the correlation coefficients will not be different. The slopes could be different because the variance of the measures could be different.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren