On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Annchen Knodt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hey Donald,

Thanks for the clarification regarding our study design. I have been trying to set up the flexible factorial, and have been reading the SPM8 manual. I am still a little confused about a few things, and was wondering if you would be able to answer a few more questions.

If I understand the manual correctly, under “Factors” I create one factor named “Subject” (we have 10) which will automatically generate my subjects factor. I select Independence “No” and Variance “Unequal”.

Independence should be Yes for subjects since all the subjects are unique and different. The variance is set to equal, because we can assume that subjects should have the same variance in the measurements.

I create another factor named “Time” (we have 3 levels) and select Independence “No” and Variance “Unequal”.

The variance should be set to equal because we can assume that each time has the same variance in its measurement.

Under “Subjects” I enter all three contrast images (one for each time) under “Scans” and repeat for each subject.  (From reading the thread entitled "adding images to cells in within subjects full factorial" from 12/1/2011 and 12/2/2011, I'm led to believe that I could enter the contrast images for all of the subjects (30 images) at once as long as I specify the "factor matrix" appropriately, is this correct?)

Where my confusion begins is “Subject -> Conditions”. It says I must enter an X-by-X array. I am unsure what values to enter. (if I enter all 30 images, is this the 30x5 matrix described in the post referenced above?)

Specify Subjects and Scans --> Specify ALL
Then select all the scans.
Then enter 30x4 matrix.
First column - all 1s
Second column -- subject number (factor 1 level)
Third column -- time (factor 2 level)
Fourth column -- all 1s

Then I assume I would Select “Main Effect and Interactions -> Main Effect” and enter “2” if I was interested in the main effect of time, which was entered as the second factor under “Factors”.

You want to see a subject factor and time factor in the model. Thus, you will want to have 2 main effects.
Main Effect --> 1
Main Effect --> 2

Defining the factor, but not including it in the model does not properly control for the subject effects.

Any help you would be able to provide would be appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy emails, but I am having trouble implementing the information from the manual. Thanks again.

Not a problem. Happy to help.

Annchen