On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Annchen Knodt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am analyzing repeated measures data for the first time in SPM8, and I
> just wanted to verify that I am doing so properly. We are scanning subjects
> 3 times using the same task, and are interested in what areas show
> differential responses as a function of time (e.g. Are responses greater at
> time 1 than at time 2 and 3?).
> In order to test this question, I am using the Second Level: Full
> Factorial option.

You should use the flexible factorial design and specify a subject factor
in addition to the time factor.

> I specify one factor with three levels (time, at visit one, two, and
> three). Under “Independence” I select “No” because it is a within-subject
> design. I then specify three cells, and enter the contrast images from my
> first level analyses for time 1 into the Level 1 cell, the con images from
> time 2 into the Level 2 cell, and the con images from time 3 into the Level
> 3 cell.
> After design specification, and estimation, I create the following
> contrasts:
> In order to test what areas show a main effect of task across all 3 times,
> I create an F contrast:
> 1 0 0
> 0 1 0
> 0 0 1

Once you add subjects, you will need to add zeros over the subject columns
and the contrast would be:
1 -1 0
0 1 -1

Your contrast tests whether any time is significant, not if there are
differences across time. The main effect of task/time is the difference
across tasks/times.