Hi Jidan,

          There are multiple ways to approach thresholding the components.  We have recently been using a mixture model to select a T-threshold.  See Allen et al, 2011, Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, Appendix B for details.  BTW, I’d suggest you move future ICA-related questions to the icatb listserv as it’s a little off topic for the SPM listserv (https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/icatb-discuss)

Regards,

VDC

From: Jidan Zhong [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 7:25 PM
To: Vince D. Calhoun
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] t-test on ICA results

Dear Sir,

I have a similar question to this. I wonder after I do the one-sample or two samples t-test, what do you usually use for the threshold? I read some papers and found they always use z value as the threshold. I wonder if this is necessary for group analysis.

I met a problem for thresholding. If I do not convert t-statistical result to z-map and do the threshoding, say, FDR correction with p<0.05, the results are like covering a lot of  white matter. Another way is to convert t-statistical maps to z-map and then do threholding. Are these two ways both OK?

Thank you.

Jidan