Hi,
We just published a paper assesing the normalization of epileptic patients with differents normalization methods. You can take a look at the protocol that we used:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811912001115

To our small experience, the best thing is to normalize the patients pre surgery using Unified Segmentation with medium regularization and to normalize the images post surgery using again Unified Segmentation with medium regularization, but this time using cost function masking. You would probably also need to manually correct the images to the anterior commissure prior to segmentation.
I hope this helps!