Dear John,
Thanks for the helpful answers and clarifying my confusion about the ICBM file.
Just one more quick question and hope you don't mind answering it:
Can you explain how the EPI template was generated in the current SPM8 version?
-Glen

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM, John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm about to normalize 10 individual subjects' Beta maps onto the MNI
> standard template (/template/EPI.nii) and want to make sure that I'm doing
> it correctly.
> So, I always use the mean image (that is generated after registration) as
> the source image when I normalize the bold images. And now, I'm wondering if
> I can use the same mean image for normalizing Beta maps as well?

The same spatial transform should be applicable to all data that is in
alignment with the image that you estimate the transform from.  In
your case, the beta maps should be perfectly aligned with the mean
from the realignment, so the transform should be applicable.

> Also, as a side note, can anybody confirm that SPM8 still uses the MNI152
> template for its template? In other words, /template/EPI.nii is the ICBM 152
> template, correct?

The EPI.nii file is not actually an ICBM file.  It was one that I
generated from a relatively small number of subjects scanned in the
FIL, using some quite old SPM functions (maybe SPM99, but I don't
remember now).  It should be in approximate alignment with the ICBM
152 data though.

Best regards,
-John